Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 21:04:17 +0200

 Hi Bill

On the surface of things... this looks like a very interesting job for
Stanwood. Perhaps you will not go that route, but in light of a few recent
threads about hammers, their hardness, and how these are sensed at the key by
the fingers... combined with other voicing and playablitity concerns..... it
would be darned interesting to see Stannwoods best done and have a look at the
results seen from both yours and the pianists perspectives.

Otherwise I can say that my feeling about Bechsteins is that they can very
easily get too bright sounding, and when they do they seem to me to take on a
bit of an empty hollow crashy tone. I like to keep them on the soft side...
requiring that  a pianist really smacks the key to get any really bright
colour.

JMV

RicB
Richard Brekne