Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:00:17 -0700

Why does this problem require Stanwood???  No offense to David, I have the
greatest respect for his contributions.  But the concepts aren't voodoo or
witchcraft.  I'm not even sure how you come to that conclusion given the
descriptions of the problems with this particular piano.  The action is too
light probably with low inertia.  Given the limitations of the budget (work
must be accomplished in one day), and everything else needed, addressing the
weight issue will not probably be possible.  You could add some clips to the
shanks to increase the strike weight a bit, and it would be easy to undue if
this criticism was the particular taste of this pianist.  But the piano
would probably be best served by Roger's suggestions, or by Joe's which was
to give them the Steinway.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 04, 2002 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

 Hi Bill

On the surface of things... this looks like a very interesting job for
Stanwood. Perhaps you will not go that route, but in light of a few recent
threads about hammers, their hardness, and how these are sensed at the key
by
the fingers... combined with other voicing and playablitity concerns..... it
would be darned interesting to see Stannwoods best done and have a look at
the
results seen from both yours and the pianists perspectives.

Otherwise I can say that my feeling about Bechsteins is that they can very
easily get too bright sounding, and when they do they seem to me to take on
bit of an empty hollow crashy tone. I like to keep them on the soft side...
requiring that  a pianist really smacks the key to get any really bright
colour.

JMV

RicB
Richard Brekne