(hope this works)! Homemade dollys @ skids anyone??

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:57:26 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/02 11:48:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
jonnyv@chartermi.net writes:

> what I'm after is a schematic or plan for a 4 wheel dolly and small grand
> piano skid for moving pianos. I already have a couple of condemned
> "mercy-removals" scheduled and would rather re-cycle wood I have and
> possibly build a better skid... if someone will share!

I appreciate you wanting to recycle. However, you're going to be moving heavy
instruments, sometimes up and down steps. When it comes to doing that, I want
to be sure the tools I use are the best possible quality, that won't break
under extreme conditions. My suggestion is that you use new wood, and new
casters.

But, I've tried that. I bought hard maple and casters and bolts etc. You know
what? The price for the parts was more than the price of a new dolly. Plus I
spent 3 hours making the thing. I also tried using a skid board my dad made.
He only used it occasionally. When I started using it regularly, it broke
during one of my moves, and almost lost the piano.

Buy a new dolly and skid board. It's less expensive, and, in the long run,
much safer.

Wim