Front Ril Pins

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 23:33:54 +0200

Jon, I suppose you have double checked to make sure the keys are at the proper
height to begin with. I know you mentioned hesitating to put thicker backrail
cloth on but perhaps it is appropriate here ?

Something seems arigh for sure, I mean you gotta figure the front rail pins are
by design long enough ...no ?? so Either they were installed too deep, or the
keys are sitting too high ??... or what ???

Nice puzzle so far :)

RicB

 Jon Page wrote:

>I'm servicing a new piano and have a bit of warranty work staring me in
>the
>face.
>
>It seems that the in-house techs overlooked the fact that the keys are
>sitting off the front rail pins
>and a lowly field tech doing the 1st tuning gets the ball rolling for
>repairs.
>
>The easiest solution would be to install a taller front rail pin but I
>have
>not found one in Pianotek or Schaff
>(my American book is being elusive right now).  They list them at 1 7/16"
>height. P-tek's mic .145 and Schaff's mic .175.
>So by having one 1/4" taller would put the pin comfortably into the
>bushing
>and reduce wear.
>
>Otherwise, I'm looking at lowering the key height by 1/4". There's room at
>the keyslip and I'd have to install a thicker
>nameboard felt. Lowering the key height would also bring the b/r pins out
>of the slot by 1/8" (they're flush or recessed now).
>
>By far and away a taller pin would be a time saver but more so would have
>been for the QC at the factory or store prep
>to have tended to this irregularity.  I have not yet spoken to the dealer
>about the looming warranty work, he'll not be happy as
>I do not discount this type of contract work.
>
>I hate it when this happens.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.