Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:36:21 -0400

Bill wrote:
"Although I find Stanwood's concepts to have merit, they are generally for getting the weight out of heavy actions."

No so at all. Stanwood's concepts are for managing and evening weight and leverage. Yes, it is more common to want to lighten an action's touch, but Stanwood's concepts work either way.

Bill's Pianist Client wrote:
"i want the action to be first of all more even across the board"

This IS Stanwood. Stanwood's concepts are KEY for achieving uniform touchweight - unform strike weight, front weight, balance weight, etc.

Bill wrote:
"The tech who rebuilt this action always does whatever he can do to get the lightest touch possible."

Bill's Pianist Client wrote:
"--a
complete regulation would fix this--but also to be a tad more resistant.  it
feels a little bit flabby playing that piano, like the keys go down too
quickly.  the action is a tad too light.  generally, bechsteins are noted
for having light actions--but this one is pretty extreme."

Sounds like the "tech who rebuilt this action" went too far - and why does he "always do whatever he can do to get the lightest touch possible?". Again, Stanwood's concepts are for managing weight. You can make the BWs uniformly higher or SWs or whatever. But his concepts allow you to go about it in a very organized, directed, controlled and predictable way. No suprises when you are done - you know what the action is going to feel like. That's the beauty of Stawood's concepts. Not even close to "just take out all the lead you can and see what happens!"

I realize such work would go way beyond the one day project, but sometimes when it is explained to a client how such work will get what they are looking for in a piano, they may well consider going that way.

Terry Farrell