hammer repair/leather/Stephen Birkett

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:41:37 -0700

Stephen, et al,
You can get leather that is acceptable to use on hammers. Your statement:
"...you can't get the proper hammer leather now, and what you can get
probably will start flapping about after a bit of playing....", is
essentially incorrect. I have been doing this procedure for many years and I
have yet to have the leather "flapping about after a bit of playing". It
takes time and skill to do it right, but not a high level of skill. As for
the proper leather, I would say contact the gentleman who advertises in the
back of the journal, (I can't recall his name/company at the moment...it's
late). He can most certainly provide you with the proper leather. If not
then try Fletcher & Newman in England or Renner/Germany.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Monday's Suck!