Taxes and retirement

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:59:51 -0400

Bob and list,

This is a subject dear to my heart -- not S corporation, which I know
very little about, but saving for retirement.

The Social Security office assures me they will help with retirement
costs of living, but I'm not counting on it very hard.  Even if it's
there, it just won't go far enough.  Our kids have all left the nest, so
my wife and I are both working fulltime and putting a fairly large
percentage of our income into IRAs, because we didn't start early
enough.  Now we're changing our strategy a little.  Tomorrow we have
settlement on a house we will rent out, and we'll see how that goes.

For anyone who is self-employed, self-discipline is the word.  In some
way you have to see that the money is regularly squirreled away.  The
earlier one begins, the smaller the regular contribution can be, and it
adds up over time.  (Well, that's the general idea anyway; right now
it's like burning it in the trash barrel if you put it in stocks or
stock funds.)  Our oldest child, who is 27, regularly invests the
maximum amount that is tax-advantaged in an IRA.

But you're probably right that most people just spend what they have,
and even more, as they go along.  If we don't look ahead, and plan
ahead, we're going to be in for some very meager times down the road.

Regards, Clyde Hollinger