Wound trichords in a spinet??? Does an ETD help?

Piannaman@AOL.COM Piannaman@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:24:54 EDT

List,

I just tuned a Betsy Ross spinet made by Lester.  Interesting little pianos.
Built with a fair amount of integrity in the materials(no plastic in the
elbows of this one).  At least they were trying to make a decent insrument.

I thought that I'd tuned a few of them in the past, but I didn't remember
that there were at least five  notes below the bass-treble break that were
wound tri-chords.  AAArggh.  I guess this would have been the time to use my
ETD.  All kinds of ungodly noises emanated from these strings.  I could not
get a unison to sound like a unison.  String speaking lengths were different,
the windings were bunching up at the top.

Has anybody tuned one of these using an ETD?  Any luck with that section??  I
guess if it doesn't sound good, at least you can point out that the computer
wouldn't lie.

Frustratedly yours,

Dave Stahl