Taxes and retirement

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:33:04 EDT

We formed an S Corporation 14 years ago and have found it to be a mixed
blessing but mostly benefit.  We have been drawing Social Security for
several years now and our salary is below the threshhold over which one has
to begin giving back SS payments.  Still working 4 days a week, and the
corporation passes through considerably more than the salary.

A downside about going to an S Corp is that the tax return is much more
complicated than filing Schedule C as a self-employed person, so using an
accountant is highly recommended.  I wouldn't want to try threading my way
through the return myself.

In the early years, we paid about $250 for preparing the return; Then our
accountant left town for a corporate position and passed us off to an
employee; the employee left town (under a cloud?) and passed us off to a
friend.  We finally decided to take control and chose our own accountant.
But the one we chose was more conscientious than the rest and spent perhaps
10 hours (at $100 per hour!) drawing up a balance sheet to tie up all the
loose ends like "retained earnings."  This in addition to preparing the
return.  We've been disciplined into keeping tight rein on keeping the
figures properly categorized so that won't happen again!

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service

wmaxim@aol.com