One-man piano move?

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:51:34 -0700

I have a customer who claims that a small hispanic mover hauled her baby
grand DOWN two flights of stairs, with only an assistant at the top of the
stairs holding a rope, apparanlty to keep the piano from getting away from
the bottom guy. But I've never heard of UP stairs that way.

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Mark Wisner
  Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 9:39 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: One-man piano move?

  In the book The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by T E Carhart, the author
describes a "baby" grand being moved up a flight of stairs and into his
Paris apartment by a piano mover who strapped the piano across his back,
with the curve resting on his shoulder.  I'd have dismissed this passage as
the meanderings of a clouded and uninformed mind if the author wasn't so
accurate in virtually every other technical aspect of the piano.  Has anyone
ever heard of such a thing?

  Mark Wisner
  Yamaha Corporation
  mwisner@yamaha.com