One-man piano move?

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:17:33 -0700

Suffice it to say that fellow will have knee & hip replacement in his future...We had a fellow here in the Bay Area that used to move uprights by himself, Ed Gong.  He made an ingenious device, basically a big step that when place on the steps of a stairway, provided him with a larger landing from which to maneuver.  He humped the piano up the stairs, somehow using this thing...
David I.

From: Mark Wisner <MWisner@yamaha.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: One-man piano move?

In the book The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by T E Carhart, the author describes a "baby" grand being moved up a flight of stairs and into his Paris apartment by a piano mover who strapped the piano across his back, with the curve resting on his shoulder.  I'd have dismissed this passage as the meanderings of a clouded and uninformed mind if the author wasn't so accurate in virtually every other technical aspect of the piano.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Mark Wisner
Yamaha Corporation
mwisner@yamaha.com