Voicing the new piano

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:41:33 -0700

List,

I would interested in hearing input about maintaining new pianos.  Particularly voicing.  I have a new fleet of 9 Yamaha pianos (is that a fleet?) I am servicing on a very regular basis...carte blanc.  1 C5, 3 C2s, 3 U1s and 2 P22s.  Another P22 in the near future.  These pianos are played 6 days a week for several hours each day.

How does playing affect the new hammer, or any hammer?  Where is the compaction taking place?  What do you do with the clangy, rattlely sound in the trebIe when it shows in ugly face.  I have my own techniques, but I'm interested in what others do.

Thanks in advance

David I.