rib radius

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:11:56 -0400

Hi Greg. I held off responding to your post, but I see that you have had =
very few responses. So in the absence of many good posts, here is mine! =
Comments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: rib radius

> Allan,
>          You answered my follow up question as to what kind or size =
piano=20
> we were talking about. The general consensus that I get is the act =
that=20
> there is no general consensus. Kind of the old ask 10 piano tuners =
there=20
> opinion and you come away with 12 opinions. The generality seems to be =
more=20
> in the bass and less in the treble.

More what?

> Fanned or straight?=20

Fanned or straight what?

> Where should they=20
> cross the ribs?=20

Should what cross the ribs?

> should there be anything in between the ribs (mini ribs ala=20
> Darrell Fandrich)?

I would be curious to understand what you are referring to here.

> Like rib radius it seems to be that less crown is=20
> desired in the treble and more in the bass.

Depends on how you are measuring crown. If you measure by how far the =
soundboard bows from a planar surface, you are looking for more crown in =
the middle of the board. From a manufacturing point of view, crown is =
more commonly measured by the radius of curvature one tries to build =
into the finished product. In that case many board designers are =
generally putting more crown in the treble and less in the bass. Some =
put the same crown across the whole board.

> Do you desire more front crown=20
> than rear or even and why and should that change in different areas of =
the=20
> board?

What are you calling front crown and rear crown? And how are you =
measuring it?

> There are many questions such as these that you colleague should=20
> consider before making a board. If you've been reading a while you =
might=20
> remember that I too am in the same process as your colleague. While =
these=20
> questions shouldn't paralyze them with fear so much that it never gets =

> done, these and more should perhaps be considered before it is built. =
Not=20