Hearing difficulties/Ron Ochs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:50:13 -0700

As most on the list know, I have stereo hearing aids and have done classes
"On the Stigma of Hearing Loss". Another good source for keeping us up on
our hearing is Diane Hoffstedder (sp?).
As we get older, we usually develop more sensitivity to loud sounds. There
is a device called "Musicians Earpugs", that can be obtained from most
qualified Hearing Aid Dispensor. These are custom fit for the individual and
not a cheap item. However, the cost, IMHO, is insignificant in that what
they will do. The brochure that I have, lists 3 different attneuations
available: 9db, 15db & 25db. I rather suspect that either the 9db or the
15db would be the ones most appropriate. I personally, think that the 9db
would sufficient for "regular" tuning situations. Whereas, the 15db if you
are doing a lot of high volume work, such as practice rooms, large grands,
or "clanky" Asian stuff. <G> If the truth be know, the Bass is what really
gets you the most, not the treble.
Hope this helps all.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)