Voicing the new piano

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:52:07 +0200

Hi Susan.

I've been back and forth on this for the last 3 years now
and have come to the conclusion that steaming has more down
sides then up sides. I aggree with Tom S tho in that
regardless how you slice it voicing is a temporary state....
depending on the use very temporary indeed.

My problem with steaming in the end is that it appears that
the crown area gets weakened somehow such that wearing
grooves into the hammers with heavy use loads developes at a
much quicker rate, and just means you have to reshape
hammers all that much sooner.

My steaming proceedure is very very modest, yet still this
has been my experience.

I used to have this fear of ripping the fibers because of
needling.... seems to me that this fear has been deminished
the more experience I have at useing both methods.

JMV

RicB