Lighter or Heavier ?

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:46:55 +0200

Hi Stephane

Sorry to not have answered this first off... but I was
interested in hearing what Terry had to say. You pose a
great question which is, I think, perhaps right up this
alley we were talking about just a bit ago. ie... how much
of the "sound" (hardness of the hammer) of the piano can you
feel.

As too your specific question I have never really thought
directly about it until you posed the question. And I wonder
greatly just how accurate your assumption (?) is here. Terry
seems to echo your position yet he tempers his response by
suggesting that perhaps one can get really close to the same
touch feel on very different instruments, and I would guess
he's probably right.

In direct answer to your question I think off hand that if
you had two exactly identical actions with respect to all
geometry, mass levels and distribution and the rest of it,
the differences in apparent touch-feel would be attributed
largly to different sound each instrument has and how sound
and action mechanics mix to affect our perceptions relative
to touch-feel.

Obviously two perfectly identical actions playing against a
dummy piece of wood instead of strings, would feel the
same... or what ? So whats left is the sound component of
how the piano feels.

I'd be delighted to hear your own take on this Stephane.
Thanks for your posts :)

Cheers !

RicB