Lighter or Heavier ?

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:57:05 +0200

Tom Servinsky wrote:

> Ric,
> What are your thoughts on the MBA, magnetic balanced action?  I understand
> no lead is necessary at that point.

Hi Tom. I had a chance to fool a bit with it in Arlington
but not enough to get a real feeling for it touchwise. Off
the top of things the idea is great for adjusting/changing
touch weight on the fly. But I havent a clue as to how
magnetic fields used in this context relate (replace) the
mass/inertia componet in action mechanics. I mean ok... you
perhaps have a lot less real mass to create any given
downweight then in a traditional action... but how a
magnetic "force", as it were, affects the << inertia >> of
an object I really dont know. I think I remember Del writing
something about that a while back.

Truly tho the magnets replace leads (all key leads ?? not
sure) and in some ways they are going to act like springs,
and in others like mass I suppose.

I guess I will have to defer to the benevolance of someone
with direct knowledge of such things for some informative
words until I find some good reading on the subject.

Cheers

RicB