Advice on Apprenticing in SW Florida

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:24:57 -0700

David,
    I was in the same position awhile back. My best advice? Learn how to beg
without groveling. <G>
    Seriously, the contacts you make at the guild meetings are your best
bets. Brown nose a little and let your intentions be known. I found most of
the techs to be very helpful in showing procedures and what not. Their
concerns are:
    You will steal their clients.   A lot of times clients think they can
get a better deal by dealing directly with you particularly when tuning and
make enticing offers. For tuning, run your own ad at a competitive price.
With a SATIII you're delivering a product that is better than most clients
are use to. Might take a little longer but you can get there. Get as much
tuning hammer technique as you can. Tune, tune, tune.
    You will go into competition against them.......Find out what they hate
to do or would rather not do. A lot of techs specialize and have peripheral
work. The guy I found hates dampers and hanging hammers. Plus his main
person on the job moved. His love is the belly work and he has enough of
that, so he could use someone to regulate actions. I'm learning about as
fast as I can. I like to think I'm in competition with him, not against
him.. Teamwork. When what's happening is over my head I sweep the shop and
sometimes I get to finish doing that before something is found for me to do.
That helps me stay around. I was about ready to show up and make myself a
minor nuisance hoping they'd put me to work so I couldn't bother them.
Really I was lucky, the need was there and I was asking for it. I got a lot
more than I thought I had bargained for. Part time works great and can be
very flexible. Be sure to include an adjustment when your worth to the team
is established. This works both ways.
Good luck to you. I drive an hour+  one way for this mental thrashing and I
think it's worth it.

Keith Roberts
Associate