Shellac vs. lacquer

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:46:55 -0400

At 9:29 PM -0400 7/13/02, bases-loaded@juno.com wrote:
>Hi Bill -
>
>Certainly, one week after using either lacquer OR shellac should be more
>than sufficient.  Regarding cure times in general when comparing shellac
>and lacquer, shellac gets the nod for faster cure time, hands down.  This
>assumes, of course, that the shellac is fresh, meaning well less than 6
>months old.

Exactly what I'm looking for, Muchos Thanquos!

Actually Susan Kline, who originally recommended shellac, and I have
been discussing the possible way of previewing the characteristics of
the shellac resin and it effect on wool fiber, before putting it on
expensive hammer crowns. But that for me is all moot now, as I've
already proceeded on the hammers. Shellac reinforcing seemed quite
responsive to ordinary hammer manipulation techniques (stitching,
filing).

But that was within the first few hours of "off-gassing". I'll find
out how much the resin has crept in the last week.

>The fresher, the better.
>Like croissants.

"Sell by .... (don't make me go out to the shop and look)". I watched
a drop of it harden on a mirror. that's why I begin thinking about
materials testing.

At 11:12 AM -0400 7/13/02, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:
>Too much could be softened and washed out with alcohol.

That also works with plastic/acetone.

At 11:12 AM -0400 7/13/02, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:
>As too Hari Cari, leave that to the movie guys!

What can I say? It's summer blockbuster season and I have to get your
attention.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"We mustn't underestimate our power of teamwork."
     ...........Bob Davis RPT, pianotech '97