Affleck Piano Tuning?(and Yamaha PT100/Verituner)

Colin Kenny kennys@kennyguitars.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:58:32 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <Walter216@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: Affleck Piano Tuning?(and Yamaha PT100/Verituner)

> I'm fed up with the talentless toads who can't even tune unisons without
an
> ETD but won't try to learn aural tuning.  An ETD should be a tool for the
> skilled aural tuner, not a crutch for the incompetent.  At least bad
tunings
> can be easily repaired, unlike the bad rebuilding jobs we all run across.
> (Another subject altogether, guaranteed to get MY stress levels elevated.)
>
> I know there are supposed to be folks out there who can tune at CTE levels
> with an ETD but can't do an RPT level tuning without, but as a CTE, I
haven't
> tested one yet.  The best ETD tunings I've seen in tests barely scraped by
at
> the 80% level and it usually took them 2 or more tries to make it.

I'd like to bring some balance to this rant session.  There are
technicians that can tune well above minimum CTE standards(i.e.%99-%100)
with an ETD, and can tune unisons aurally at a similar level(i.e.%100), but
can't
tune a temperament aurally that will pass.  I'm one of them.  This dichotomy
of "skilled aural tuner" versus "talentless toad" or "incompetent" is
useless at best.  I work hard to be able to provide quality service in all
areas of this field, and whether or not I properly use modern technology to
get the
job done is of little consequence.  The condition we leave the piano in is
what matters.  I'm a little tired of older technicians beating their chests
about
this
subject.  They HAD to learn it the hard way, and now many are just stubborn.
The fact that this small, but hard earned, part of their skills
has been partially eclipsed by technology is difficult to accept.  I am
learning to tune a temperament aurally, and I enjoy it.  It's a fascinating
procedure(also the last one that I need to be an RPT), but not
terribly important in my line of work.

Sincerely,
Colin Kenny
Peru, IN