hammer softener?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:27:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/02 10:18:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> Has anybody used a liquid called "hammer softener"? Pianotek sells it. I
> assume the responses will be that it's no substitute for proper voicing
> techniques, but I'm curious if anybody has found an appropriate use for
> the stuff.
>
> Charles Neuman

There are four ways to soften hammers.

1. Use the product you mention. I have never used it, so I can't make a
comment on it.
2. Use Downey Fabric Softener. Dilute it about 5 or 6 to one, and it works
great. The only problem is, it colors the hammers blue.
3. Use a damp cloth and a hammer iron. Roger Jolly explains this method. I
have used it several times with great success. I am going to use it on all
the practice rooms pianos. The nice things is, it is instantly reversable, by
ironing the hammers without the wet cloth.
4. Needle like hell. It can be effective, but it does damage the hammers. And
it is hard on your arm muscles.

I am not recommending any one of the four methods. However, I like number 3.

Wim