hammer softener?

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:28:10 -0700

The decision on how to voice down a hammer has to take into =
consideration just where the hammer is hard.  You can really divide the =
voicing issue into two areas.  Resilience and attack.  If the hammer =
lacks resilience, i.e. it is hard deeper into the hammer, then steaming =
won't really address that.  It will mask it by softening the outer =
layers, but it won't take care of the problem.  If the hammer is hard in =
the striking area, i.e. if the attack needs to be attenuated, then =
steaming or crown needling will be effective.  To determine where you =
need to voice you have to alternate between hard and soft blows.  Harder =
blows will tell you more about the deeper part of the hammer and its =
resilience, softer blows more about the crown and the attack.  You can =
have a resilient hammer with sharp attack, a resilient hammer with soft =
attack, an unresilient hammer with soft attack or an unresilient hammer =
with sharp attack.  I personally think that you need to address =
resiliency first and that there is usually an optimum level of =
resiliency.  Typically it is described as one which achieves adequate =
power on a hard blow without the tone breaking up.  There is little =
benefit to an unresilient hammer and a notable loss of power with an =
overly resilient or unsupported hammer.  Once you achieve the proper =
level of resiliency you can then turn your attention to the attack.  =
Here there is much more room for personal taste.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20