Shellac vs. lacquer

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:53:53 -0700

Susan:

I think the problem with using hardeners on the crown of soft hammers
without reinforcing the structure underneath is that you can end up with the
thumbtack-in-the-marshmallow-sound.  When you play softly, the piano seems
to have some power, but as you start to force it and compress the hammer
down to the underlying structure the hammer just flattens out and you get
nothing.

The difficulty lies in reinforcing the hammer deep without allowing the
stronger lacquer to creep to the surface.  I've gone to adding lacquer from
the sides when I want to build up the overall firmness.  You can direct the
lacquer deep underneath the strike point (where it is needed) without
letting it creep up to the crown.  On a Steinway hammer, getting the lacquer
under the crown is essential.  Reinforcing the from the shoulders has little
or no effect if the lacquer doesn't creep under the strike point.  Several
drops on each side of the hammer will penetrate without getting to the crown
and you can control just how close to the crown you want it to go.
Basically, the lower in the scale, the farther from the crown.  I also use
two solutions for reinforcing switching to a slightly weaker solution as I
get into the low tenor and bass.

After you have built up the underlying structure of the hammer (which you
test by playing loud when the lacquer is thoroughly dry), you can then
address the attack with a weaker solution.  Adjustments in the reinforcing
can be done again from the side if you find that the hammer is not quite
firm enough without effecting the attack.

David Love