Shellac vs. lacquer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:39:45 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2002 1:05:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Shellac vs. lacquer
> Date:7/15/2002 1:05:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>  Susan

   I have to confess that Davids influence has gotten me to use more
lacquers/acetone solutions  again instead of Plexiglass which I used for
quite a long time and still do if I don't want to harden as much.
 I've used exactly the format David outlined hear and it is very effective.
However solution strength will vary depending of course on how stiff the
hammer is initially.
   I always juice up some mono chords first just to get a feel for what it
will take as to solution strength.  Can't go wrong down there. Besides I like
some real teeth/bite to the low bass sound. Its also a safe place for
begginers to experiment.
  I haven't tried shellac yet. Too many new things in the hoper right now.