Stainless Steel Wire/Ron Nossaman's question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:18:53 -0700

"So why wouldn't you consider this wire suitable for squares....?"
Well, Ron, I'll answer partly by asking you a few questions: 1. Was this
wire ever used, originally on a square?
2. What are the mass coefficients, (ie cross-sectional mass), of this wire.
(THIS I need to know.)
3. How does the tension & breaking strength, of this wire, relate to normal
piano wire, size/size?
I'm a bit of a purest, when it comes to these instruments(?)<G>, and
therefore consider ANY modernization, therein, to be inappropriate. My
reasoning for this, is that you will not get the sound and/or touch of the
original instrument, when you "modernize". This, to me, is a sad situation,
because, when a Square Grand is working properly, it has a very distinctive
sound, that cannot be duplicated. This sound IS, IMHO, the sound of the 19th
Century, in the USA. It's what most people heard in that time. Hence, Square
Grands are an Aural trip in time.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Squares Need Love Too!<G>