Piano Technician Training

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:15:55 -0400

Doug, I have a few comments that might help.

> >         I have issues with how both schools present themselves as being
> > the "better" school.  In the case of Randy Potter, he includes a
> > 12-year-old article from Keyboard Magazine saying that his school is the
> > best.  (Written by Larry Fine, no less)  I'm not sure how much relavance
> > an article of that age has on training today.  In the case of the American
> > School, there are email testimonials included, but none of the
> > testimonials are from members of the PTG.  They say that they just haven't
> > bothered.  Cost, of course, is an issue, since the Randy Potter course
> > costs twice as much as the American School course.

I have apprenticed several people who have taken or were in the process of taking the Randy Potter course and I feel it is an excellant course when coupled with hands on experience.
In this day and age it is virtually impossible to find a comprehensive course filled with accurate and valuable info to get you started in any career with real earnings potential for the reasonable cost of the Randy Potter course. (was that a run on sentence)

> >         Which brings me to the other option.  From what I've read on the
> > list and the archives, it seems to me that most piano technicians would
> > not be willing to take on an apprentice since they fear that this will
> > take business away from them.  How can that be approached?  Yes, I'd be
> > willing to pay a technician for training if they would offer it to me.

It is the truth that every person I have apprenticed has struck out on there own.  Most "piano men" it seems to me have an individualism and independence that drives them to do their own thing.  In my case this has proven to be a very good thing, I have developed lucratave business relationships with most.  That does not change the general fear out there of training a competitor but there is always the "sucker," like me, who just can't stop themselves.

> > I have been in touch with the PTG about membership and stating that I'm
> > looking to maybe apprentice to someone.  I'm currently living in the SF
> > Bay Area, just to give you a geographical reference.

In my opinion, the PTG is your best bet to find the help you need.  My suggestion is for you to join, go to meetings, talk to people.  The combination of learning through technical classes and the contacts your make can be very effective.

> > Any help/suggestions/comments would be very welcome.  You are welcome to
> > contact me off-list if you feel that this is not worthy
> of the bandwidth
> > on the list.
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> > Sincerely,
> > Doug Jones

In my opinion this is good bandwith material.

Good luck,
David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW