removing a plate by myself

Claudia Cimenti claudia_cimenti@mail.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:24:41 -0700

Hi all,

If any of you have pictures available of the plate being taken out of the
piano, using a hoist, or any other means, please pass them along for the
Gallery. It would be great to see what all the various kinds look like:
those attached to the ceiling, the foldable ones, car engine hoists. Also
of interest: what kind of straps do you use to affix the plate... where do
you affix the straps to the plate...

Please share. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will put pics and
text-only contributions up at http://webpages.charter.net/cimenti/workshop .

Wim, may I post your technique for your one person plate removal technique
there?

Regards,
/Claudia

At 09:47 AM 7/16/2002 Tuesday, you wrote:

>>Subject: Re: removing a plate by myself
>>
>>Wow, that was quite a story. Scary, but I'll be it was exciting, too.
>>
>>I was always curious: Can you use one of those devices that lifts engines
>>out of cars? I think it's called a cherry picker. I know someone that
>>rented one to pull his engine. It rides on wheels, and you can roll the
>>wheels under the car to position the chain hoist right above the engine. I
>>would think it's about the right height for a piano plate. And if you can
>>rent them for a one-time use, then that would be appropriate for removing
>>a plate when you're not in your shop. Or if you're working out of half a
>>single-car garage and don't want a permanent installation in your shop.
>>
>>Anybody tried this?
>>
>>Charles Neuman
>
>Charles, and Wim,
>
>Using an engine hoist was suggested back a while ago, but was probably not
>followed through at that time........if there is no reasonable attachment
>point for a real hoist, this would seem a logical alternative, and while
>they can be rented, as Charles points out, they also can be purchased
>easily enough and are not all THAT expensive.  Check out this website:
>
>www.jcwhitney.com
>
>Stan Ryberg
>Barrington IL
>mailto:jstan40@aol.com