"piano people" and individualism, was Re: Piano Technician Training

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:43:42 -0400

In a message dated Wed, 17 Jul 2002 2:05:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> David Koelzer wrote:
> > Most "piano people" it seems to me have an individualism and
> > independence that drives them to do their own thing.
>
> I have noticed this spirit of individualism. I think that's what drives
> piano people to invent new techniques, make new tools, and explore new
> ideas. What's also interesting is that technicians seem to value sharing
> this info. Many conventions in other fields are just excuses to boost
> people's egos or sell things. It's great that the PTG Convention is
> focussed on teaching, and the teachers don't even get paid!
>
> I think there is a similar individualistic spirit and sharing amongst
> computer programmers. This is especially true with those who support the
> "free software" efforts, where people work hard to create software that
> ultimately gets shared for free. There's sort of a Libertarian attitude
> that goes on. Maybe it's because programmers, like technicians, like
> solving problems and tend to work alone.
>
> I also noticed that both fields allow for newcomers who like to learn in
> their own ways. You can't become a doctor by learning medicine on your
> own, even if you really know what you're doing! I have heard several cases
> of technicians who are programmers or were interested in
> programming. I
> think there's a connection.
>
> Charles Neuman

Charles, you hit the nail on the head, There are certain breeds of people that always entertain learning and who find their most challenging competitor in themselves.  There is a connection between certain fields and the style person we are talking about.  I have always sought out these individuals and fields and even though our independence and individualism can make it rough to interact sometimes, the interaction can be most rewarding.

Thanks
David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW