Feeling the Hammers/Richard Brekne

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:50:31 +0200

Joe And Penny Goss wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> Sounds a little like bone conduction hearing.
> Being a deaf tuner ( total loss in left ear 65 years ) the only time it
> presents a formidable
> obstacle is when trying to set A with a tuning fork.
> It seems to me that the resonance of the piano may be giving the testee or
> player some feedback that they are interperting into something that they
> describe as a feeling.
> Some are so discerning about the little things that othere never notice.
>
> Joe Goss

Hi Joe.. The two primative experiments I just conducted were
both out of piano. One with my wife and son doing a blind
test had the action sitting on a thick shipping blanket on
our kitchen table. Not much room for feedback from the piano
here as it is on the other side of town...grin.

The other experiment was with a action model.

The fact that there was in both cases a very marked
weakening of the signal / sensation when the drop screw was
decoupled from the repetition lever needs explaining. I
already have talked to the university physics department to
see if I can borrow some equipment and a couple acoustics
students this fall. Like I dont have enough planned already
!! :)

Cheers

RicB