Is it just me or ...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:20:53 -0400

Matt: Amen, Amen, Amen.

Wim: The only tapping I'll do on a Hamilton is with a sledge hammer while utilizing an aggressive technique.

Alan: I've tuned perhaps 20 or so of these little monsters in my short few years in this business. I can only think of one that is OK. The other 19 or so are very poor, aggravating, falling apart, misaligned, noisy, miserable little PSOs.

When people inquire about buying a used piano, this is one that I regularly identify as often a poor choice.

Just calling a spade a spade.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan R. Barnard" <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 10:43 AM
Subject: Is it just me or ...

do all Baldwin Hamilton Studios sound whiny and have a lot of wild strings from 33 to the top? I live in Missouri with a lot of humidity and temperature swings. Pianos in rural churches don't use heat/air much during the week. Did two yesterday, couldn't get them to sound right, to me. Have just about decided to become a Wal-mart Greeter.

Alan

I never heard one that sounded good, even new ones.  What makes me cringe about them is the first few tenor octaves.

Matt

Hi Alan

Try tapping the bridge pins, and setting strings on the bridge, in addition to shaping the hammers. Convince the church that after 30 years, a piano needs more than just tuning.

Wim