Is it just me or ...

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:33:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/02 6:24:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
kam544@gbronline.com writes:

> >...Alan: I've tuned perhaps 20 or so of these little monsters in my
> >short few years in this business. I can only think of one that is
> >OK. The other 19 or so are very poor, aggravating, falling apart,
> >misaligned, noisy, miserable little PSOs.
> >
> >When people inquire about buying a used piano, this is one that I
> >regularly identify as often a poor choice.
> >
> >Just calling a spade a spade.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>
> Terry, List,
>
> I'm glad I don't have to use your spade. It would be a long day
> before any hole ever got dug.
>
> I say just the opposite of your observations, Terry, by the mere
> fact, I take care of 105 Baldwin/Hamilton studios (dbase info), some
> for as many as 23 years on an annual basis.
>
> Real workhorses, overall stability of tuning unquestioned as compared
> to other units of same size, a big, bold sound for the most part, and
> very seldom breaks down.
>
> Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, one of the best values ever made
> in the piano industry. Takes a beating and keeps on playing.
>
> I can only think of one that doesn't cooperate like I'd like, but
> it's no big deal.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Keith McGavern

Ahem, I'd have to agree with Keith here, Terry.  There are a lot of them out
there.  It is a very common choice for a school piano and many other
situations.  I've been going nightly and will be again in a few minutes to
rehearsals for Man of La Mancha.  If I had the attitude you do about the
piano we are using, I wouldn't be able to do either my job as a piano
technician nor as a singer and actor.

The last thing I would ever call our rehearsal hall piano is a "PSO".  It is
a Baldwin Hamilton Studio piano.  It has great tone and a beautifully
designed soundboard.  Does it require actual work froloathfulm time to time
to keep it being a musical instrument and not an object for loathsome
disdain?  Yes, but again, that's what I am in business to do.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin