Overstringing

kana mimaki kmimaki@hotmail.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:44:19 -0600

Phillip, it is interesting that you have gathered the specification infor=
mation on Babcock's patent, but you don't seem to acknowledge the illustr=
ation (page one) that goes with it. What makes things even stranger is th=
at the US patent office is actually 'missing' the specification page (pag=
e two); at this point in time the US patent office lists the second page =
as being missing. Since you have something they seem to have lost, they m=
ight appreciate hearing from you.

The point was not necessarily that overstringing predates the 1800s, I on=
ly used that as a suggestive starting point for which to begin a search t=
hrough perhaps other sources. I do remember seeing an overstrung illustra=
tion from around 1805, but it is very possible that there are examples of=
 this practice pre 1800.

Are you unsure that there was overstringing before the Steinway patent, o=
r that it could have happened before 1800? Ackerly patented an overstrung=
 design in 2/27/1855, so that should take care of the first part. As for =
the second part, I would need to do some more investigating to provide yo=
u with a specific example. But even in the 1855 patent, Ackerly points ou=
t that the arrangement of the strings in nothing new, so we know for sure=
 that overstinging at least predates 1855.

Bradley M. Snook