New subject: Steck Small Grand

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:38:24 -0600

Alan,
Please send me a post at the below address so that I can send you an =
idea to try.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 6:12 PM
  Subject: New subject: Steck Small Grand

  Have acquired a 1921 Geo. Steck Baby Grand from a client. Has a very =
sweet sound (except that many of the bass strings are tired--more =
"thunky" than musical).

  All this discussion of bolstering hammer knuckles begs the question: =
Is it worth doing on Brambach/Francis Bacon style knuckles, or should I =
follow my original inclination which is to save up the necessary shekels =
to replace the shanks, knuckles and hammers (which are otherwise in =
pretty good shape. Hammers obviously not originals. Ivories obviously =
are and in good shape.

  Any experience or thoughts on this piano much appreciated. Market =
value? I paid $800.

  By-the-way, stripping the old finish has revealed a very, very dark =
and closely grained wood I've not seen in a piano. Could it be a dark =
walnut or really dark mahogany?

  Alan