Una Corda Problem in Seiler Grand

Piannaman@AOL.COM Piannaman@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:41:39 EDT

Hi List,

I went out on a warranty job yesterday.  The objectives were to a). fix a
sticky key and b) tune the piano.  The sticky key was caused by a toy model
of those wings that commercial pilots wear on their blazers getting wedged
between C 5 and the action bracket.  No problem.  Remove offending wings, put
action back in, tune, check pedals.  The una corda doesn't work.  Take action
out several times trying to figure out why it isn't working.

Looks to me like the shift lever has chafed part of the wood on the edge of
the keybed slot.  The lever slips right under the action.

Went out again, tried to shift action a little bit so the lever would grab.
I carefully tried to rebed the frame, but it did not help, so I put the bed
back into its original setting.  45 minutes later, a frustrated tech left the
house, problem unsolved.

It seems to me that the end of the lever that pushes on the action is not
quite long enough to do its job.  It's a brand new piano, and it was working
fine before I removed the action, according to the owner.  Any ideas?  Help!!

Dave Stahl, RFT(Real Frustrated Tech)