Brambach/Kimball Knuckles Alignment

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:07:21 -0700

Alan Barnard et al,
Your statement: "I guess the only real drawback to the Brambach knuckles is
not having a clear target to adjust the jack to."
Not true. I have an olde Kimball Service Manual from the 40's/50's. It has a
clear picture of how to align the knuckles to the jacks. There is a vertical
part to the shank that goes to a point and then horizontal towards the
hammer. The jack top, at mid point, should intersect that "vertical" line.
It works the same on the Brambach! As I stated before, I have one and I
find, that when the jack has moved slightly too far towards the hammer, the
touch gets real nasty. Adjust the jack to that midpoint line and all's well
again! Essentially, it's the same alignment as a regular knuckle/rosewood
except, rather than having one side or the other, of the vertical jack align
with the vertical alignment point, the middle of the jack top must align
with that line.
I hope I've explained it adequately. It's a whole lot easier to show than
tell. <G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Squares Need Love Too!<G>