Shellac vs. lacquer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:16:44 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2002 3:51:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

           David Love writes
> It seems that what many of us are looking for is a hammer which is somewhat
> more dense than an NY Steinway hammer and somewhat less dense than a Renner
> or Abel hammer.  One interesting experiment might be to take an NY Steinway
> hammer, infuse it with an alcohol and water solution and throw it into the
> drier for an hour to see if that doesn't brighten it up.  I, for one, would
> be happy to come up with a way to get a NYS style hammer more dense without
> lacquer.  Lacquer is tricky and unforgiving in some ways.
>
>     David two more thoughts at least
        I think the water and drier thing wouldn't work> think the hammer
would just puff and stay that way.
          You no I'm no coward when it comes to desecrating hammers. I'd like
to buy a set > of Abel's (or renners for that matter) and treat them with an
> appropriate dose of alcohol and water to loosen up the felt to the point
> that I could then build it back up with a solution and see what happens.
>    That soft felt Steinway uses when pressed right has a pop, power and
> sustain like  no other when its pressed with more density but not too much.
> Ari Isaac made me some sets of it once when I was selling them. Best
> hammers ever. Incredible wear factors. They were closer to what your
> describing

    . Ray at Ronsen is making some for me now if he has enough decent
material.
          Dale Erwin