Shellac vs. lacquer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:29:38 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2002 4:26:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Shellac vs. lacquer
> Date:7/17/2002 4:26:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:dm.porritt@verizon.net">dm.porritt@verizon.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

>  Dave wrote
> This has been an interesting thread.  As a proponent of Renner Blues,
> I'm amazed at the gyrations one goes through to make NY S&S hammers
> useable.  All the different concoctions from Collodion & ether,
> lacquer, plexiglas, sanding sealer, keytops and shellac (have I left
> any off?) to make a hammer what it's supposed to be.  I've done it
> and it isn't fun.

     Hey Dave
,but the sound of the piano when its right,lacquer and all, is unlike any
Renner I ever heard. Yeah it's more work ugh but I must agree with Dave Love
on the tone and dynamic resources.  As hard as it has been for me to except
this at times Stwy makes hammers this way on purpose and when you get the
procedure down the sound is awesome and its not as tough as you think. The
other thing is the factory could make em more densified if they really wanted
to, but they don't because this is the design concept that works for the tone
want. I personally would like to see them densify it a bit more my self.
    The biggest problem with Renners is getting the unyielding core of the
hammer to flex so the sound doesn't hurt my ears. I want power without pain.
May be a few drops of water and alcohol thru the side of the hammer would do
it right above the molding. Some body out there try this and get back to me I
don,t have any spare Renners
  JMHO>>Dale Erwin