Shellac vs. lacquer

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:58:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2002 11:49:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sckline@attbi.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Shellac vs. lacquer
> Date:7/17/2002 11:49:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:sckline@attbi.com">sckline@attbi.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> .

       Susan
  On a hot day in the shop 80 degrees or more The lacquer solutions will
dryquickly enough so that that the sound is changed within an hour, Except on
the largest bass hammers that were really soaked this it takes two hrs.
Remember It's not cured  so I don't hammer on it but I can play it enough to
get a semblance of whether I got the solution dilution close to my target
sound. It changes a bit more overnight and breaks down some as the next
tuning gets pounded in. If it's still too edgy a little acetone on the top
will wash it in a bit and won't take long to work with. If it's not enough
repeat with another light application.
   With any of this , as you know, it takes time to dry and it's nice to have
the piano in the shop which is not always possible, but I like to live with
the pianos sound over the course of some days while working and refining
other things when possible.