"PTG convention is focuse on teaching...."/Dale Probst

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:17:20 -0500

  Though you might be
> right
> about how money is spent elsewhere, I felt well compensated for my
> time.
> They even paid for my handouts, not to mention the honor and
> privelege of
> being asked to instruct.  You put it well.....

	I was a "grunt"- on the moving crew, got to attend only one full class,
plus the two mini's I taught, and was "out" my flight costs, plus the
horrible amount I spent on tools -shame on Dale Probst for telling me to
buy lots of tools at conventions for the tax breaks..........
	I was not happy at all to be working an average of 14 hour days, so
exhausted at the end of the day I barely made it to the evening events(I,
considerably older than others).  There were "problems" this year, as we,
the movers have normally been able to get to several, if not all classes.
That having been said, every time I have worked on the moving crew, my
appreciation for those who work tirelessly before, during, and after the
convention to make it happen efficiently grows.  I am aware that in the
best of circumstances the headaches are immense.  This year was not the
best of circumstances (details might be had from some of the bureaucrats-
I only know there were a lot of extra headaches), with the result, as we
worked till 1:30 one morning, those who had headaches all day were right
there helping us get the extra work done, to be up at around 4:00 to do
their own work.
	It is my suspicion that those who work on the Institute Committee are
different animals than those who run the organization.  Each is a
"service", but each is unique to its own tasks. My only experience has
been with the Institute Committee people, and they have always been
contientious beyond imagination.  As far as compensation........  I'd
sure like to have all my expenses paid if I am not going to get to attend
classes, and know that fact before arrival.  Yet I had a strange sense
through the whole event that the work being done to make this convention
come off smoothly would, somewhere in the Great Scheme of Things, have
it's tangible rewards in time, even if they were in a form not expected.
This is an optimism to which I'm quite unaccustomed.
	Being something akin to an Anarchist, I avoid anything to do with
organizations. On the other hand, it is PTG people who gave me my
training; it is PTG people who continue to aid me in learning, and as a
result I've been able to help some newbies coming up.  This, for me, is
privilige, and a source of rich reflection. I do believe that "it is more
blessed to give than to receive", for a couple of reasons. If one can
"give", one has resources for that gift- a celebration in itself.  Giving
for its own sake sometimes surprises one in rewards not originally
sought, but greatly appreciated for their unique contribution to me as a
human and how they impact my career and my psycho/social being.
	Certainly there are problems with any fallible group of humans who
attempt super-human tasks on limited resources.  I would hope that
dialogue regarding these problems could focus on issues rather than
persons, and the good the persons attempt to do would be set to the fore
before negatives begin flying about. We are, after all, sincerely seeking
the same thing- an honorable living with quality work, adequate
compnesation and a few moments to appreciate our many blessings.  Hope
this isn't toooooooo far off the topic.
les bartlett
houston

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!