"PTG convention is focuse on teaching...."/Dale Probst

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:11:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 18, 2002 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: "PTG convention is focuse on teaching...."/Dale Probst

>     Joe,   I taught this year and I received, I thought, a generous
package;
> an amount for each day's class equal to a hotel room and meals.  The
> convention registration fee was paid for, and a banquet ticket provided. I
> was  paid for the hands on  class also.  Not knowing how other
organizations
> compensate, I thought this was quite fair, as  we are a comparatively
small
> convention stemming from a small membership.  Though you might be right
> about how money is spent elsewhere, I felt well compensated for my time.
> They even paid for my handouts, not to mention the honor and privelege of
> being asked to instruct.  You put it well.....
>     Mike Kurta, RPT

Most other organizations do this and actually pay a reasonable stipend
besides. Even then it doesn't generally compensate the average
instructor/lecturer for the time it takes to prepare for his/her
presentation.

As these things go, our organization is not all that small and we have a
rather large convention. Not to mention that, compared with 30+ years ago
when these policies were established, the income of the average piano
technician/tuner today is considerably higher. And that is largely due to
the unpaid efforts of hundreds of convention volunteers, instructors and
authors over the years who have struggled on anyway in the hope of a better
future. That future is still some off.

Let's face it--as an organization, we're cheap!

Del