"PTG convention is focuse on teaching...."/Dale Probst

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:59:54 -0400

In a message dated Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:25:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Dale,
> You're preaching to the choir here. If you feel stongly about the fact that
> the Instructors are not properly compensated, Tell It To: The President,
> Vice President, Sec/Treas./The Board/The Institute Committee and anyone else
> that I've left out, that might have some influence in that matter! I tried.
> And like I said, I did get them to change some policies, but IMHO, it aint
> enough!
> As you may well know, I have been one of the "Instructors". Did I feel put
> upon, for a lack of REAL compensation. Not One Damned Bit! But, it would
> have been nice to have been compensated a bit better. And fairly, I might
> add. The present policies are archaic and not balanced. If you are a regular
> Instructor, you get one nights hotel room paid for, for one class period
> taught, each day. If you teach two classes in the same day, you still, only
> get one night's hotel paid. If you tutor, (which the tutee has to pay for,
> extra), you get zip!
> If you are involved in the "Hands On" sessions, (which you have to pay extra
> for), you get zip!
> Getting the picture?
> The Institute Manual has been devised/revised by the good old boys and it
> sucks, IMHO!
> And, while I'm on this rant: Any profit, (and there is almost always a
> sizeable one), does not go to the Instructors, who made the Convention what
> it is, but rather goes into the "General Fund" that is used for frivolous
> crap most of the time. An example of "frivolous crap": That STUPID LOGO and
> what it cost to design/devise, etc!!!!!!
> Enough of the rant. If I have offended anyone, my apologies.
> But, the truth is the truth and I don't like it one damned bit, speaking as
> a member first and an Instructor second.
> Will I teach, if asked? You betcha! It is a privilege and an honor to teach,
> at any level of PTG. I got my education from those who went before me and I
> hope to pass that along. It is, as you know, the essence of
> PTG.
> Respectfully,
>
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> Squares Need Love Too!<G>

Joe, as a member and an instructer I can understand your frustration, the system does not seem to make much sense.  I am not aware of the process at the national level but having been the Dallas Chapters Program Director and also privy to a little of the process at our regional convention I can understand the difficulties.  Some of the instructors are in big demand and they attract more attendees, which in turn can make the convention more profitable.  How do you continue to attract these instructors over and over again, each trips expenses rising along with the value of lost work. How can we fairly value the difference between regular classes, "hands on," and tutoring.  How do we fairly value the difference between a simple class set up, like mine, involving few props and little set up and the elaborate complicated set ups.  How do we keep from breaking the bank?  What are your suggestions?

I have one more question, for whoever can answer, are we in fact losing good instructers?

Please don't take me wrong, I have no complaints about my compensation, I am proud and happy to teach, it is a priviledge and honor and if asked I would be glad to teach again regardless of compensation (hey, don't nobody get no ideas).

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW