Overstringing

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:20:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 18, 2002 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Overstringing

> >But even in the 1855 patent, Ackerly points out that the arrangement of
> >the strings in nothing new, so we know for sure that overstinging at
least
> >predates 1855.
> >
> >Bradley M. Snook
>
> Yes we do.
>
> Phil F

What we don't know is why it became the de facto standard in large grand
pianos.

In vertical pianos of even relatively large size the advantages of
cross-stringing generally outweigh the disadvantages. And I'm not qualified
to comment on whatever advantages or disadvantages there may be when the
concept is applied to squares.

But the advantages become questionable in longer grands.

Del