Shellac vs. lacquer

Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:14:50 +0200

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> This has been an interesting thread.  As a proponent of Renner Blues,
> I'm amazed at the gyrations one goes through to make NY S&S hammers
> useable.  All the different concoctions from Collodion & ether,
> lacquer, plexiglas, sanding sealer, keytops and shellac (have I left
> any off?) to make a hammer what it's supposed to be.  I've done it
> and it isn't fun.
>
> I find I can get the sound I want -- and more importantly the sound
> the pianist wants -- with the Renner Blues doing just a very small
> fraction of the work that's been talked about in this thread.  I
> realize that all this has to do with our personal preferences and
> what we get used to.  I also know there's no right or wrong about
> this.  I just prefer hanging Renners and taking an hour or less to
> make them what I want.  I'm probably just lazy!
>
> dave

Actually David,,,, having had a bit of experience with the
nearest counterparts to Renner Blues over here I would have
to agree with you one billion percent. Its great to install
a hammer that does the brothers part of the work right out
of the box.

But for my part, I hold onto a bottle of cellulose lacquer
for older hammers that arent going to get changed but need
some help. And for those few top hammers and lowest on new
sets.

RicB