Requesting info on Dekalb miniature grand

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:36:20 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 19 Jul 2002 9:04:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, JCSwafford@AOL.COM writes:

> Hello list,
>
> This piano according to the customer was manufactured in the '20's or '30's. She has requested an appraisal and estimate.
>
> She's buying it from a friend and out of fairness wants to pay "exactly" what it's worth.
>
> Leaving the repair expense out of the valuation picture, does anyone know if this piano because of it's limited numbers or unique style have any more (or less) value that any other generic grand of this age. Wurlitzer made it.
>
> Also, in short, what would any of you say to the customer about this piano. I'm not good about spinning yarns. Maybe if some of you are, you could put your spin on spinning a yarn. I'm finding more and more the customer wants a story like a drug addict needs a fix. Jack Wyatt can do equally well in the realm of reality and fantasy IMHO, maybe I should just call
> him directly.
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Joel Swafford

HEY HEY HEY!!!!!  I resemble that remark.  Why I remember this guy who said something like that at a convention only to mysteriously disappear from his room, never to be seen again.  To this day people swear they hear a piano being tuned aurally in room 249 at the Ramada even though there is no piano there!
Now if I could just find some investers I am sure I could locate this "ghost" piano and we could make a mint on it.

Oh yes Joel, as far as your problem goes, if it were my situation I would value it the same as any other piano with that vintage and condition.  The problem is there is no way I know of to estimate the value of this pianos rareness.  To the right person it might be valuable but to most people it will just be a small piano. But what do I know?
Call the "maestro."

(investers please send cash)

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos