Bechstein key height

Breakall, Raymond rbreakal@richmond.edu
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:59:11 -0400

Tom,

Thanks for the reply but I have the thinnest balance rail punchings sold by
Schaff and their are no glides on the keyframe. Sounds like the other thing
to do is have the keys too high in relation to the keyslip. Any other ideas?

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Driscoll [mailto:tomtuner@attbi.com]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 9:54 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Bechstein key height

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Breakall, Raymond
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 8:42 AM
To: 'Pianotech@ptg.org'
Subject: Bechstein key height

Dear list,

I am trying to fiqure out key heighth for a Bechstein grand. I must jack
up
the the back rail felt to fit properly with the keyslip. Then I find I
don't
have enough movement in the key to get enough key dip. Any ideas? Thanks

Ray

Ray Breakall
Piano Technician
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA
(804)287-6342

	Ray,
	 Sounds like the balance rail punchings are too high. Check key
frame for integrity, check for proper bedding (someone may have lowered
the glides excessively.) and perhaps start over with all new keybed
material to match the case etc. Also jacking up the backrail will change
damper timing and that could turn this job into an all day event !
	Good luck, Tom Driscoll