Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:51:11 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Ed wrote:
> there should be some classes restricted to "RPT-only".

Alright, I'll bite...

I see the point about wanting higher level classes, but I don't think
restricting to RPT's would solve that problem. What about less experienced
RPT's asking beginner's questions? It could happen.

I think the issue is in how the class is presented. If the instructor
stops for every question, then the level will get brought down. I think
THAT'S where the saying "no" should happen. Not at the door to the class.

I attended Jim Coleman's "Advanced Aural Tuning", one of only seven
courses in Chicago marked "Advanced". And it was. Much of it went by me,
but it was wonderful to see one of the greats doing his stuff. And there
were plenty of little details I did catch that I can use right now. The
point is that Jim didn't need to restrict his class to RPT's to keep it on
track. He just kept the class at a pretty high level. I'm sure other
Associates like me were there absorbing as much as possible, and not
bringing down the level of the class.

Charles Neuman