small claims court

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:35:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/02 2:12:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> I'm curious: Is it possible to use a collection agency for just one
> account? I assume most of those places work in bulk for large companies,
> but I'm curious if some of them do small jobs. Heck, even if they took 75%
> as a commission, you'd get the satisfaction of making the customer pay.
> Also, I wonder if you have to prove anything to them about the situation
> before they will start harassing the customer.
>
> If it IS possible and legal to use a collection agency, those guys are
> really good at harassing people. My auto insurance company used one to
> collect from a guy who hit my car. It worked.
>
> Charles Neuman

I used a collection agency to collect rent due on my rental pianos. Check the
YP for ones that will do small jobs. But be careful. Some of them will charge
you for their time, even if they don't collect. I wound up paying for
services they didn't do, and I had to get after them to do their job. I think
I picked out a bad agency.

Wim