Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:28:09 -0600

Hi Jim.
            Right on the money as usual.  From a personal point of view, I
have seen no serious problems from classes, as a student, or as an instructor.

A higher proportion of hands on classes for both basic and advanced skills
is needed, but where do we get the required army of mentors, that will
donate their time and skills?

Instructors are not doing what they do for recompense. The joy of sharing
is about as good as it is going to get.

Just an associate that teaches both basic and advanced classes.

Regards Roger

>OK...I can't take any more! :-)
>
>   The assumption that RPT means "experienced" is a HUGE fallacy.... as is
> the
>assumption that "Associate" means beginner.
>  There are sooooooo many levels of skills in the ranks of our RPTs that any
>class distinction made for the Institute is useless...period....as is the
>case for our Associates.
>
>  As it stands now the classes are rated and it is up to the individual to
>decide what is or is not appropiate or interesting to them.  That is exactly
>how it should be.
>
>  Have none of you taken a class, or course, that was, to your thinking,
> above
>your head just for the experience and learning what the questions were??? If
>you haven't then you have been taking the wrong classes.
>
>  It is up to the instructor to maintain the class at the proper level and to
>the point of the class subject, and to keep the subject fairly limited and
>under control.  Don't blame the students for classes going astray...it is the
>instructor who allows it to happen.
>
>  But then what do I know? :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Roger