Another Gold Paint source

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:56:56 +1000

Hi all,

Another alternative is Wolstenholme Bronze powder. This UK based
company provides bronze powder for several of the piano manufacturers
- we use it also. They can be found online at;

http://www.wolstenholme-int.com/documents/products.htm

When the page opens, select "Metallic Pigments for Paints".

For first time users, they have a color sample sheet for choosing
your preferred color.

They also have a US office, which can be contacted through the
contacts page of their website.

As David Love mentioned, this material should be applied in a lacquer
carrier, with a clear top coat applied to prevent corrosion and
discoloration (while a certain well known manufacturer applies this
powder without a clear topcoat - to get the very brightest finish on
the showroom floor - their iron plates look pretty ordinary in a
short time). We use automotive acrylic lacquer as both the carrier
coat and top coat (the plate of our piano 003 -
http://overspianos.com.au/bkcl.html - was finished using this
powder). The pigment is mixed into the lacquer carrier coat at a rate
of 100mm of pigment per litre of lacquer thinned to spraying
viscosity. Two coats of pigment are applied prior to applying the
clear topcoat. If you apply only one coat, there is a risk that when
the top coat is applied, the undercoat will show through. This is a
definite trap for the inexperienced, since the first coat will look
terrific until the clear top coat is applied - and then its all too
late.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY