Bechstein Key Height

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:58:13 -0700

Ray,
Oft-times, on these REALLY OLDE pianers, I work on, the original front rail
punchings are really quite thin, (like "Thin" Action Cloth thin). So, I get
out my trusty 3/4" or 7/8" Front Rail Arch Punch and pound out a set. This
"Arch Punch" is the way to go. I got the 3/4" one from Fletcher & Newman,
Ltd., in England. I inherited the 7/8" one from a now defunct Piano
Store/Shop. (Made by Lyon & Healy! Does that tell you how olde that one is?)
These two punches cut the outer diameter and the center hole all in one
swell foop, er one fell swoop!
Of course you could just get one large arch punch and one small one and do
them in a two step process.
Another way that olde makers did the front rail, was with a continuous strip
of the appropriate thickness of action cloth, (one strip for the naturals
and one for the sharps). They punched the hole in the strip to match the pin
spacing. This could be done with a "leather punch", which has a wheel, with
several sized punches that can be selected. (It looks like a very large pair
of pliers with the punch wheel attached to one jaw and an "anvil" attached
to the other jaw.
Just a few thoughts. The latter is not my favorite way, but it is a way.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Squares Need Love Too!<G>